Visiting Sorrento in April | The definitive Guide
In Italy we have a motto that says “Aprile Dolce Dormire”. It literally means April Sweet Sleeping. In a few words it explains the beauty of this time of year, the start of spring and Sorrento finally wakes up from the rainy and humid winter.
Visiting Sorrento in April | Must know
Sorrento in March : Things to do and Events
Considered one of the best months of the year to visit Sorrento & the Amalfi Coast. The weather is just warm enough to visit the island of Capri, explore the ruins of Pompei and join a tour on the Amalfi Coast, to visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. The weather is perfect to hike and enjoy outdoor trails. Spring flowers are in bloom and you will fall in love with the spring fragrances that lingers in the streets of the town. Finally, there is a reason more than any other that makes me think that April is one of the best months to visit Sorrento. Easter Sunday falls on the 21st April and the rituals and traditions of Holy Week are kept, respected and held dear in the hearts of all citizens. Processions and other religious rites, art exhibitions and cultural events make Holy Week in Sorrento unique in the world and generally this period coincides with the beginning of the tourist season.
Pompei Ruins, Capri island and the Amalfi Coast in April
Thanks to the mild temperatures and the less crowdedness of the area, one of the most recommended sites to visit in April are the ancient roman ruins in Pompei combined with an incredible experience in a vineyard at the bottom of the Vesuvius with the Vineyard tour, it combines wine tasting, lunch with local products and it can be a truly unforgettable experience. Do not lose the amazing tour on the Amalfi Coast and a shared trip to Capri exploring the beauty of the Island by sea and onshore. The sea is still to cold for swimming, but in April the Blue Island of the Mediterranean come salive again after the winter period when everything is pretty much closed and the island does not have much to offer.
April is also the perfect month to enjoy outdoor walking experiences:
Three best hiking trails from Sorrento to the Amalfi Coast
- Queen’s Johanna Bath in Sorrento
- Path of the Gods from Agerola to Praiano
Agerola or Praiano
- Valle delle Ferriere in Amalfi
Sorrento in April : Weather and Temperature
Spring is in the air and the temperature is significantly milder and more pleasant. The beach clubs and beaches have now set up everything to accommodate the numerous customers, especially on the weekend they come here like the lizards to enjoy warm sun. You can enjoy a glass of good white wine which compliments seafood spaghetti or fresh fried squid and shrimps. Spending a day out or simply enjoying your lunch break in front of the spectacular Gulf of Naples is priceless.
Sorrento Weather and Climate information in April
MIN TEMPERATURE 8.0°C
MAX TEMPERATURE 18.2°C
RAINY DAYS 7
SUNSHINE HOURS 200
- Humidity 78% 78%
- Chance of Rain 23,3% 23,3%
Sorrento in April: What to pack
Do not forget to leave space in your suitcase for a bathing suit and a towel. The water is cold but in the warmer areas of the Peninsula, those exposed to the south, you are able to swim and spend pleasant days by the sea. It is very easy to reach the beaches of Sorrento both in Marina Grande and Marina Piccola. For those staying in a B&B, holiday homes or hotels in the centre of Sorrento, the distance is very short. All you have to do is walk to the Public Gardens (Villa Comunale) and from there either use the lift (cost per adult per ride €1.80 or use the steps. For those who have a car or scooter you must head towards the Sorrento Harbour (Porto di Sorrento) where you will find a space to park your vehicle in one of the two private car parks.
These are my personal recommendations for your visit to Sorrento in April:
A good and versatile waterproof hiking jacket
Sweater or cardigans
A bathing suit and beach towel
Good walking shoes
Bring a backpack or a travel bag for when you visit places like the Amalfi Coast, Capri and the Pompei Ruins
Bring a folding and sturdy umbrella
Sorrento in April: 5 reasons to come
- To experience the Holy Week in Sorrento, a fascinating combination of the sacred and the profane coexisting in one of the most evocative events of the Sorrento Peninsula: processions, events and rituals.
- To enjoy the night life: in April the two main nightclubs of the area open their doors: the Music On the Rocks on the beach of Positano and the Taverna Anema e Core in Capri where you can dance on the tables with its worldwide known owner Guido Lembo.
- To advantage deals and low prices of apartments and rooms cheaper than the high season starting in May (the first half of the month we offer 15% discount on accommodations booked directly with us)
- To live incredibile hiking excursions as the weather is mild but not hot and most of the days are sunny
- To enjoy less crowded restaurants, which reopen after the winter months, and to sunbath in Sorrento beaches (Marina Piccola and Marina Grande) opening during the mid of April