Getting from Rome to Sorrento – What’s the best way?
If you are in Rome and you are coming to Sorrento, here you will find all the necessary and updated INFO for 2019: getting from Rome to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast is never been easier with our guide.
Every day, I received messages from travellers asking me: what is the best way to come from Rome to Sorrento?
The answer varies depending on the case: in fact it depends on the area where the guest is sleeping, whether he is traveling from the airport or from the train station and from the number of the group.
With a bit of organization and a few days in advance, money and time can be saved.
Find out more about how to travel from Rome to Sorrento in the most convenient and fastest way possible.
Getting from Rome to Sorrento by train
If you are in Rome and you are planning to come to Sorrento for your next trip by train, consider that the train does not arrive straight to Sorrento but it stops in Napoli Centrale first. From Napoli Centrale you will then have three different options to arrive to Sorrento: circumvesuviana train ( a local train similar to the metro), ferry and private transfer.
We’ll see this later, let’s start from Rome now!
Once in Rome ensure to be in the right railway station within at least 30 minutes from departure and do not forget to buy tickets in advance. The train is a great way of seeing Italy! In Rome there are two railway station that offer national services:
- Roma Termini, the main railway station, is located in the heart of the city. It is the hub of the Metro network and the place where your will find the main bus station for local buses, airport buses and trains
- Roma Triburtina, situtated in the north-eastern part of the city, is he second-biggest station with service from both regional and high-speed trains
The train journey from Roma Termini to Napoli on Italo and Trenitalia’s high- speed trains takes approximately 70 minutes. More than 60 trains make this trip every day: the first leaves Rome at 6:26 a.m., the last at 8:40 p.m. From Roma Tiburtina station to Napoli Centrale the journey is about 70 minutes and trains run every hour. Many of Italo and Trenitalia’s high-speed trains travelling from northen Italy to Napoli an the south of Italy, pass through Tiburtina station before reaching Roma Termini and Napoli Centrale stations.
Here’s a map to better understand where Rome Termini and Rome Triburtina are located.
Roma Stazione Termini
Roma Stazione Triburtina
Once you have reached Napoli Centrale station you have three choices on how to get to Sorrento:
- Circumvesuviana train: a local train that, in 70 minutes, will take you directly to Sorrento. It is reasonably cheap but crowdy and a bit slow. You can purchase a ticket in one of the newspaper stands in the station; Sorrento is the final stop on the line. A good alternative to Circumvesuviana train is Campania Expess which takes you to Sorrento in less time, in a more comfortable way but it will cost you twice the fare of Circumvesuviana (around 8 euros) .
- Private transportation, which you can book in advance, collects you on your arrival at train station in Napoli and takes you straight to your destination in Sorrento. Do not forget to book in advance to save money!
- Hydrofoils, from Molo Beverello. The route Napoli –Sorrento is run by two companies and ferries run approximately every 90 minutes. The cost is around 20 euros . If you decides to use this type of transportation to Sorrento you will have to take a taxi from Napoli centrale Station to Molo Beverello. The taxi fare varies on traffic and it is approximatelt 10€.
Getting from Rome to Sorrento by bus
The bus is one of the most convenient, economically speaking, ways to transfer from one place to another. From Rome to Sorrento there are a few bus rides a day and if you are not in a hurry and have a lot of luggage, it can be the best solution.
As a student, I took the bus from Rome to Sorrento dozens of times. Mostly, it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience but some days of the week, holidays and specific times, I absolutely do not recommend it.
From Rome two different lines of buses lead to Sorrento center: Marozzi and Flixbus, and both buses leave from Triburtina Station in Rome.
- Ticket can be purchased online https://www.marozzivt.it , at the Rome Triburtina station and in travel agent offices.
- You can choose your own assigned seat on the bus when you purchase tickets (I recommend next to the window to enjoy the view) – seats number are above the seats.
- The bus leaves from Roma Tiburtina Station at two different hours: 7 am and 3pm , except on Sundays that has only one departure at 7am.
- The ride takes approximately 4 hours but the trip length depends on the traffic on the highway.
- Tickets cost €19.
- The bus stops in five little towns (Castellammare, Vico Equense, Meta, Piano di Sorrento, Sant’agnello) before approaching Sorrento.
- There is no bathroom on board.
- The bus makes a 15 minutes stop along the way at an Autogrill to use the rest rooms and buy food and drinks.
- The Marozzi bus shows up only a few minutes before the departure time at the Rome Triburtina station.
- If you are traveling with luggage, you will have to store them in the luggage compartment on the lower deck of the bus. With a small hand carry, there is overhead storage space on board the bus.
- There is air-conditioning on the bus.
- On Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday afternoons expect longer journeys, there may be delays.
- Ticket can be purchased online https://www.flixbus.com/ – by selecting the route Rome – Sorrento
- The ride takes approximately 4 hours and 15 minutes. Time of arrival is at 12,15, but the trip length depends on the traffic on the highway.
- The cost of the ticket varies daily, but the price goes from 11€
- There is a bathroom on board.
- It is recommended to arrive at least 15 minutes before the departure time at the Rome Tributina station.
- Each passenger is allowed to take 1 item of luggage (max. dimensions per item 31 x 20 x 12 in, 50 lbs. in total) plus 1 carry-on bag (16 x 12 x 7 in, 25 lbs.).
- There is air-conditioning on the bus.
- On Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday afternoons expect longer journeys, there may be delays
Getting from Rome to Sorrento by private transportation
Definitely the most convenient and fastest way to travel from Rome to Sorrento. The private driver, depending on whether you come by car or minivan, will pick you up at the station, airport or accommodation where you are and will take you directly to Sorrento, to your destination. In total comfort, with air conditioning, flexibility of travel and without having to damage you with luggage between stations and walkways, private transport is the one chosen by the majority of customers, especially if they are groups of more than 5 people. There are numerous companies that offer this service, of course we recommend our guests some of the most professional and safe drivers we know.