Getting from Naples to Sorrento – What’s the best way?
Naples is one of the most beautiful cities of Southern Italy and the third largest city of the Country. Full of history, art and sights to visit it is the largest and closest to Sorrento & the Amalfi Coast.
One of the questions I hear most is:
” what’s the best way to get from Naples to Sorrento? What is the most easiest and comfortable way? “
As I always say the best way to get from Naples to Sorrento depends on where you are leaving but the most comfortable way is the private transportation.
If you are reading this post it means that you need the same information and your final destination is Sorrento or the Amalfi coast. Traveling from Naples to Sorrento, whether you arrived by plane or train, hydrofoil or private transportation, it is easier than you think: this is a complete guide with all the tips you need to make the best choice.
Let’s see this together!
Getting from Naples to Sorrento by train
Here’s a map to better understand where Napoli train station is located.
The choice of the public transport to reach Sorrento really depends on your needs and with whom you are travelling.
If you are travelling by train from Venice, Florence or Rome with Italo or Trenitalia (high speed trains), you will arrive to Napoli Stazione Centrale on Piazza Garibaldi.
From here all you have to do is reach Cirumvesuviana line or Campania Express and take the direct train from Naples to Sorrento.
- Circumvesuviana: this is the local train that connects all the cities between Naples and Sorrento; the journey to reach our beautiful town takes about one hour and a half. The first train is at 6.11 AM and the last is at 9.49 PM, trains run every 30 minutes and a one way ticket costs € 4,90 per person. The ticket can be easily bought at the station’s ticket office without having to prebook.
- CampaniaExpress: The newest train company made specifically for travellers and commuters, where you’ll find all the comforts, guaranteed seating, air conditioning and a very fast way of travelling; in fact this specific train has fewer stops in comparison to Circumvesuviana. The ticket should be bought at least 20 minutes before departure or, if you’re planning to travel by train with no doubt, buy it directly online. A one way ticket costs €8,00 per person and the journey takes about 50 minutes
Here you’ll find all the information concerning the Railway Station, updated timetables and fares for the Circumvesuviana train and the Campania Express train:
Why getting from Naples to Sorrento by train?
The train option is the best way to reach Sorrento if:
- The group is less than 3 people
- You are travelling with not luggages
- You are travelling on a budget and you are not late
Getting from Naples to Sorrento by private transportation
Traveling from Naples to Sorrento, whetever you arrive by plane at the Aereoporto Internazionale di Napoli Capodichino or by train at the Stazione Centrale di Napoli, it is easier than you think if you travel by private transportation.
Here’s a map to better understand how to travel from Naples to Sorrento by private shuttle.
A private transfer is obviously the most comfortable way to travel from Naples to Sorrento, as they will welcome you at the arrivals gate, at the railway exit or outside your accommodation if you are staying a night or two in Naples, and take you directly to the door of your apartment or hotel.
This type of transportation has to be planned before you’re arrival and we can suggest you a couple of local reliable and english speaker drivers. You’ll have all the comforts that a mini-van can offer, such as air conditioning, comfy seats to enjoy a relaxing journey and of course flexibility.
Why getting from Naples to Sorrento by private transportation?
The private transportation is a perfect choice if:
- you are departing from Naples Capodichino Airport, Naples train Station, Naples harbor or from your hotel/ accommodation in Naples
- you are travelling with family or small children, have luggages and your group is more than 3 guests
- you want to enjoy hassle-free transportation to your accommodation in Sorrento & Amalfi Coast with a private transfer service
- you wanna travel with professional, efficient and competent drivers with an extensive knowledge of the area
We always recommend to our guests, our first class drivers, who will give you some basic information about our beautiful coast and also give you the opportunity to make stops to take pictures in some breathtaking locations. Probably this one is the best and most convenient way to travel if you are in a group of more than 3 people or if you’re travelling with family and small children.
Getting from Naples to Sorrento by bus
Here’s a map to better understand how to get from Naples to Sorrento by bus.
The bus is the cheapest way to reach Sorrento, especially if you’re travelling by plane and you do not want to lose time to reach the Railway Station or the Port of Naples. In fact, from Capodichino, there is shuffle service served by the company Curreri that departs directly from the airport exit and reaches Sorrento bus station, with few stops.
- Tickets can be bought online on the web page of the company Curreri
- The journey takes about 75 minutes, but it depends on traffic (I really do not recommend to take the bus if you’re travelling on a Sunday and especially between these times: 14:00 – 18:00);
- Ticket costs €10,00 one way per person;
- On the bus there is air conditioning;
- If you are traveling with luggage, you will have to store them in the luggage compartment underneath the bus;
- There isn’t a toilet onboard and they won’t make any service station stops.
Why getting from Naples to Sorrento by bus?
The bus is a perfect choice if:
- you are travelling alone or as a couple
- you are not in a hurry to arrive (it can get stuck in traffic)
- during the journey you’ll have a nice view of the volcano Vesuvius
Getting from Naples to Sorrento by ferry
If you’re a lover of the sea and want to start your holiday with the sensation of the Neapolitan’s sea breeze on your face the ferry is the best choice for you! The ferry is also the fastest and easiest way to reach the Sorrento coast, as you’ll skip any kind of delay with traffic. Whether you’re travelling by train or by plane, to reach Molo Beverello (Port of Naples), you’ll have to take a quick ride of 10-15 minutes by taxi and it will cost around €10,00.
Here’s a map to better understand where Naples harbour is located.
The biggest company that serves this type of transfer service by boat is Alilauro:
- Tickets can be bought online directly on their website: http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe or directly at the ticket office situated in Molo Beverello;
- Ticket prices may vary, it usually costs between €13,00 – €20,00;
- The journey takes about 45 minutes and you’ll have an amazing view of the Gulf of Naples and Vesuvius, admiring the beauty of Naples and a beautiful glimpse of the Sorrento coast;
- Luggage of a maximum size of 50x35x20 (cm) and the weight not exceeding 9 Kg is included in the cost of the ticket. For extra luggage and excess baggage in size and/or weight or if your are travelling with animals or bicycles you’ll need a ticket specifically for your additional needs
Why getting from Naples to Sorrento by ferry?
The ferry is a perfect choice if:
you’re landing in Naples in the early hours of the morning
- during yhe journey you’ll have a nice view of the Bay of Naples, Capri Island and Sorrento Coast
you can store your luggage directly at the port, as they offer a storage service, and you can benefit the extra hours to visit and see as much as you can of Naples ( Just nearby is the harbour of Molo Beverello you’ll have the majestic Maschio Angioino in front of you, visit the famous metro station of Via Toledo, which is one the most beautiful stations in Europe or you could choose to eat the famous Pizza a Portafoglio, a typical Neapolitan appetizer