Getting from Sorrento to Florence – Best Route 2023
by Giuseppe Morvillo
Looking to visit Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi Coast in 2023 but wanting to know what the current situation is regarding COVID-19? Discover our article below to find out how safe the Amalfi Coast is, information on Face Masks and Social Distancing as well as all of the Latest Updates.
by Giuseppe Morvillo
Getting from Sorrento to Florence
Every year many of our guests write to us asking for the best information on how to travel from Sorrento to Florence, one of the most beautiful cities in Italy. After staying in Sorrento, out guests from all over the world, often decide to make their next stop to Florence or Tuscany, many who write to us to know how to go from Sorrento to Rome.
We have collected and compared all of the top information available and have composed in this article the best guide on how best to reach Florence from Sorrento, find out all the details, the prices and the companies that offer the connections.
Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast both represent true Italian beauty and the ‘dolce vita’ lifestyle and Florence known for being so full and rich in culture. If you spent the last few days of relaxing and enjoying the Sorrento Peninsula, Capri and Positano and are now looking to explore Florence, here is the complete guide:
Sorrento to Florence: With Private Driver
As always, moving between Italian cities with a private driver is certainly the most comfortable, most effective and often the fastest way. If you consider the total expense, in some cases it can often be even cheaper than using public transport which is why it is important to considering all options before deciding and booking tickets. Another great advantage in choosing to travel with a private driver is that for those with travel itineraries can really make the most of their time and see one of the other main sites between Sorrento and Florence, such as:
- Pompeii Ruins
- Vesuvius and Wine Tasting
- City of Naples
- City of Rome
We contacted the best drivers in terms of professionalism and reliability, who have new Mercedes cars or minivans including air conditioning and the upmost comfort features.
Travelling with a private driver is recommended for couples, families or groups of friends up to 8 people who:
- Who want to take an additional tour or stop at another city on the way
- Must leave early in the morning or late in the evening
- Prefer to travel comfortably
- Want to travel with one vehicle instead of changing taxis and trains
- Have heavy bags and don’t want to stress about carrying them around
- Need to follow strict timetables and cannot risk delays
The driver will pick you up at the requested address, help you to arrange your luggage in the car and accompany you to your destination following the fastest and least traveled route, also you will have the option to stop when you’re wanting to take a break or for a lunch break along the way.
Sorrento to Florence: By Train
If you’re in Sorrento or in the Sorrento Peninsula and you need to get to Florence, we advise you to plan your trip as accurately as possible as there is no direct train from Sorrento to Florence and you have to make at least one train change in Naples Centrale.
The Journey from Sorrento to Florence:
- First arrive in Naples to Napoli Centrale station, with the local train departing from Sorrento station (Circumvesuviana or Campania Express)
- Then from Napoli Centrale take a train to Santa Maria Novella.
Santa Maria Novella is the main station in Florence, it is located in the centre a few steps from the Duomo of Florence and the main attractions. From Naples to Florence there are several train options that can vary according to prices and speed, but we strongly advise you to book a high-speed trip in advance and to ensure a quick and comfortable journey at affordable prices.
The two main companies that offer fast trains from Naples to Rome and cover the main national destinations are:
The journey from Naples to Florence with Italo or Trenitalia takes about 3 hours, passing from Naples Afragola, Rome Termini and Rome Triburtina. There are about sixty trips a day and the first train from Naples to Florence departs around 6am and the last train is around 9pm.
Our Top Tips
- The average price per way from Naples to Rome costs around € 50/60 each
- If you book your tickets well in advance you can find offers starting €19.90 each
- Anticipate the possibility of delays, plan your journey well and keep updated
- Travelling by train is recommended for couples or single travellers, if you are traveling with more than 4-5 people it is much better and more cost-effective to book a private driver
Travelling by train from Sorrento to Florence can therefore be a good solution for:
- Those who have flexible times and do not need to arrive at a certain time
- If you’re traveling on a budget or looking for one of the most cost effective options
- For those traveling individually or in pairs
Sorrento to Florence: By Bus
Travelling to Florence from Sorrento by bus is certainly the cheapest and budget friendly option, but it is also the slowest way to reach your destination. From Sorrento there is only one company that organises the Sorrento to Florence route with a change in Rome Triburtina.
Flixbus: Pro’s & Con’s
- Tickets can be purchased on the website https://www.flixbus.com/
- The ride takes about 9 and a half hours, the departure is scheduled at 5pm and the arrival at Rome Triburtina station at 9:30pm – the departure from Rome Triburtina in Florence is at 10:45pm with arrival at 2:10am
- The ticket price can vary daily, but starts from around €29 each
- There is the toilet on board
- It is recommended to arrive at the station at least 15 minutes before the departure time
- Each passenger can travel with checked baggage (max. Size 31 x 20 x 12) plus one piece of hand baggage (16 x 12 x 7).
- The bus has air conditioning
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is a train ticket from Sorrento to Florence?
The average train ticket from Sorrento to Florence can cost from €20 – €60 of course depending on how early in advance you book your tickets.
Is there a direct train from Florence to Sorrento?
No, unfortunately you will have to stop in Naples to get your second train as there is no direct route from Florence to Sorrento, and vice versa by train.
How long does it take to drive from Sorrento to Florence?
It can take 5 – 6 hours to drive from Sorrento to Florence.
How far is the train ride from Florence to Sorrento?
The journey from Florence to Sorrento, including the change over at Naples, can take around 4 – 5 hours.
Can you do a day trip to Florence from Sorrento?
Yes of course, another great advantage in choosing to travel with a private driver is that you can stop to visit one of the other main sites between Sorrento and Florence, such as Pompeii Ruins, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Wine Tasting, City of Naples or City of Rome.
Is it safe to travel to Florence?
Of course, just like most cities in Italy, Florence is a very safe destination for travellers. You will feel safe walking the streets of this Renaissance capital at any time of day or night.
How far is Florence to Sorrento by car?
It can take 5 – 6 hours to travel from Florence to Sorrento by car.