Getting from Rome to Sorrento – What’s the best way?
by Giuseppe Morvillo
by Giuseppe Morvillo
Getting from Rome to Sorrento
Whether you’ve just enjoyed a quick weekend break to the capital of Rome and are looking to continue your trip to the South of Italy, traveling from Rome to Sorrento is much easier if you organise yourself in the right way and with the most suitable means of transport. In this article we have put together for you the best travel options, the timetables of trains and buses and the most professional drivers who also offer this service and prices.
The most common question I have been asked is what is the best and easiest way to travel from Naples to Sorrento? The answer really depends on if you are travelling from accommodation or the airport and the size of your group. With a little bit of organisation a few days in advance, you will be able to save yourself time and money. After having consulted numerous travel sites and transport companies, here is the complete guide:
The driver will pick you up at the requested address, help you to arrange your luggage in the car and accompany you to your destination following the fastest and least traveled route. Also, it is possible for you to stop when you want for a break or for a lunch break along the way, our drivers are very flexible and understanding.
Rome to Sorrento: With Private Driver
Travelling from Rome to Sorrento with a private driver is of course the most comfortable, effective and fastest option to arrive to your destination. Taking into consideration total expenditure, it can also end up being cheaper than using public transport. The private driver, depending on whether you come by car or minivan, will pick you up at the station, airport or accommodation where you are and will take you directly to Sorrento, to your destination. In total comfort, with air conditioning, flexibility of travel and without having to damage you with luggage between stations and walkways, private transport is the one chosen by the majority of customers, especially if they are groups of more than 5 people. There are numerous companies that offer this service, of course we recommend our guests some of the most professional and safe drivers we know.
We recommend this travel option for couples, families (especially with small children) or groups of friends up to 8 people who:
- Must leave early in the morning or late in the evening
- Prefer to travel comfortably
- Want to travel with one vehicle instead of changing taxis and trains
- Have heavy bags and don’t want to stress about carrying them around
- Need to follow strict timetables and cannot risk delays
Rome to Sorrento: By Train
If you are in Rome and are looking to come to Sorrento for your next trip by train, take into consideration that there is no direct route and you will have to stop in Naples to switch trains. From Napoli Centrale Station you will then have two different option to arrive into Sorrento:
This is the main railway station and is located in the heart of the city. It is the hub of the Metro network and the place where you will find the main bus station for local buses, airport buses and trains.
Situation in the North-Eastern part of the city and the second-biggest station with service from both regional and high-speed trains.
The Journey from Rome to Sorrento:
- First arrive in Naples to Napoli Centrale station, with the national line train departing from Rome’s station ( The two main railway companies that quickly connect Rome to Naples and cover national routes are Italo and Trenitalia) side banner with timetable
- Then from Napoli Centrale take a train to Sorrento
Once you have reached Napoli Centrale station you have three choices on how to get to Sorrento:
- Private Transportation
A local train that, in 70 minutes, will take you directly to Sorrento. It is reasonably cheap but crowded and a bit slow. You can purchase a ticket in one of the newspaper stands in the station and Sorrento is the final stop on the line. A good alternative to Circumvesuviana train is Campania Express which takes you to Sorrento in less time, in a more comfortable way but it will cost you twice the fare of Circumvesuviana, around €8.
If you book private transportation in advance, the driver can collect you on your arrival at the train station in Napoli and take you straight to your destination in Sorrento. Do not forget to book in advance to save money!
You can get these from Molo Beverello. The route Napoli to Sorrento is run by two companies and ferries run approximately every 90 minutes. The cost is around €20. If you decide to use this type of transportation to Sorrento you will have to take a taxi from Napoli centrale Station to Molo Beverello. The taxi fare varies on traffic and it is approximately €10.
Travelling by train from Rome to Sorrento can therefore be a good solution for:
- Those who have flexible times and do not need to arrive at a certain time
- If you’re traveling on a budget or looking for one of the most cost effective options
- For those traveling individually or in pairs
Rome to Sorrento: By Bus
The bus is one of the most convenient, economically speaking, ways to transfer from one place to another. From Rome to Sorrento there are a few bus rides a day and if you are not in a hurry and have a lot of luggage, it can be the best solution. As a student, I took the bus from Rome to Sorrento dozens of times. Mostly, it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience but some days of the week, holidays and specific times, I absolutely do not recommend it.
From Rome two different lines of buses lead to Sorrento centre: Marozzi and Flixbus, and both buses leave from Triburtina Station in Rome.
Marozzi: Pro’s & Con’s
- Option to choose an assigned seat, I recommend a window seat to enjoy the views
- The bus leaves from Roma Tiburtina Station at two different hours: 7am and 3pm except on Sundays that has only one departure at 7am.
- The journey takes about four hours depending on traffic
- Tickets cost from €19 each
- The cost of the return ticket offers a 10% discount
- The bus makes intermediate stops before arriving in Rome (Sant’Agnello, Piano di Sorrento, Meta, Vico Equense, Castellammare)
- There is no toilet on board
- The bus stops for 15 minutes in the middle of the path at a snack bar
- The bus arrives at the station only a few minutes before departure
- If you travel with luggage, you can store it in the compartment under the seats.
- Hand luggage or bags can instead be carried on the bus in the space and stored in the rear compartment
- The bus has air conditioning
- On Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday afternoons expect longer journeys, there may be delays.
Flixbus: Pro’s & Con’s
- The journey takes about 4 and a half hours
- The ticket price can vary daily, but starts from €11 each
- There is a bathroom on board
- It is recommended to arrive at the station at least 15 minutes before the departure time
- Each passenger can travel with checked baggage (max. Size 31 x 20 x 12) plus one piece of hand baggage (16 x 12 x 7).
- The bus has air conditioning
- On Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday afternoons expect longer journeys, there may be delays
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is a train ticket from Rome to Sorrento?
The train ticket from Rome to Sorrento €15 – €40, each way, each depending how far in advance you purchase your tickets.
Is there a direct train from Rome to Sorrento?
No, unfortunately you will have to stop in Naples to get your second train as there is no direct route from Rome to Sorrento, and vice versa by train.
How long does it take to drive from Rome to Sorrento?
The drive from Rome to Sorrento takes around 3 hours.
How far is the train ride from Rome to Sorrento?
The train journey from Rome to Sorrento is around 2 and a half hours as there is no direct route so you will have to swap trains in Naples.
Can you do a day trip to Sorrento from Rome?
Yes of course, but it will require very organised planning and a very early start in order to maximises the sights and activities you will want to see and do during your time in Sorrento. (Insert 1 day Sorrento itinerary)
How much is a taxi from Rome to Sorrento?
From Rome to Sorrento an taxi can cost 380€.
Is it safe to travel to Sorrento?
Sorrento is known to be a very safe area by local and tourists which is why its an ideal location for families, couples and large groups.
How far is Rome to Sorrento by car?
Rome to Sorrento by car is around 3 hours.