Getting from Sorrento to Rome – Best Route and Travel Guide
by Giuseppe Morvillo
by Giuseppe Morvillo
Getting From Sorrento to Rome
Traveling from Sorrento to Rome is much easier if you organise yourself in the right way and with the most suitable means of transport. Let’s find out together the best options are to reach Rome from Sorrento, the timetables of trains and buses and the most professional drivers who also offer this service and prices.
There are many travellers who travel from Rome from Sorrento, mainly to either continue their holiday in the Italian capital or to return home by taking a flight from Rome Fiumicino Airport. After having consulted numerous travel sites and transport companies, here is the complete guide:
Sorrento to Rome: With Private Driver
Travelling from Sorrento to Rome with a private driver is of course the most comfortable, effective and fastest option to arrive to your destination. Taking into consideration total expenditure, it can also end up being cheaper than using public transport. We are in contact and can advise you with information of the best professional and reliable drivers, who’s Mercedes cars or mini vans are fully equipped with air conditioning and optimum comforts, should you decided to go for this option.
We recommend this travel option for couples, families (especially with small children) or groups of friends up to 8 people who:
- Must leave early in the morning or late in the evening
- Prefer to travel comfortably
- Want to travel with one vehicle instead of changing taxis and trains
- Have heavy bags and don’t want to stress about carrying them around
- Need to follow strict timetables and cannot risk delays
The driver will pick you up at the requested address, help you to arrange your luggage in the car and accompany you to your destination following the fastest and least traveled route. Also, it is possible for you to stop when you want for a break or for a lunch break along the way, our drivers are very flexible and understanding.
Sorrento to Rome: By Train
- First arrive in Naples to Napoli Centrale station, with the local train departing from Sorrento station (Circumvesuviana or Campania Express) side banner with timetable
- Then from Napoli Centrale take a train to Roma Termini or Roma Triburtina, whichever is your final destination.
From Naples (Napoli Centrale station) to Rome there are several train options that vary according to prices and speed, but we strongly recommend that you book a high-speed trip in advance to ensure a quick and comfortable trip also at affordable prices. The two main companies that offer fast trains from Naples to Rome and cover the main national destinations are:
Our Top Tips
- The average price per way from Naples to Rome costs around €40 each
- If you book your tickets well in advance you can find offers starting from €15 each
- Anticipate the possibility of delays, plan your journey well and keep updated
- Travelling by train is recommended for couples or single travellers, if you are traveling with more than 4-5 people it is much better and more cost-effective to book a private driver
Travelling by train from Sorrento to Rome can therefore be a good solution for:
- Those who have flexible times and do not need to arrive at a certain time
- If you’re traveling on a budget or looking for one of the most cost effective options
- For those traveling individually or in pairs
Our Top Tips
- If you need to reach Fiumicino airport, it is recommended to stop in Roma Termini and take the connection with the Fiumicino Express which will take you to Fiumicino airport in about thirty minutes.
- If you need to reach Ciampino airport, it is recommended to stop in Roma Termini and take the connection with the Terravision Bus which will take you to Ciampino airport in about forty minutes.
Marozzi: Pro's & Con's
- Option to choose an assigned seat, I recommend a window seat to enjoy the views
- The bus leaves from Sorrento station and arrives at Triburtina station in Rome with departure at 6am and arrival at around 10am
- The journey takes about four hours depending on traffic
- Tickets cost from €19 each
- The cost of the return ticket offers a 10% discount
- The bus makes intermediate stops before arriving in Rome (Sant’Agnello, Piano di Sorrento, Meta, Vico Equense, Castellammare)
- There is no toilet on board
- The bus stops for 15 minutes in the middle of the path at a snack bar
- The bus arrives at the station only a few minutes before departure
- If you travel with luggage, you can store it in the compartment under the seats.
- Hand luggage or bags can instead be carried on the bus in the space and stored in the rear compartment
- The bus has air conditioning
Flixbus: Pro's & Con's
- Tickets can be purchased on the website https://www.flixbus.com/
- The journey takes about 4 and a half hours
- The departure is scheduled at 5pm and the arrival at Rome Triburtina station at 9:30pm
- The ticket price can vary daily, but starts from €11 each
- There is the toilet on board
- It is recommended to arrive at the station at least 15 minutes before the departure time
- Each passenger can travel with checked baggage (max. Size 31 x 20 x 12) plus one piece of hand baggage (16 x 12 x 7).
- The bus has air conditioning
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is a train ticket from Sorrento to Rome?
The train ticket from Sorrento to Rome €15 – €40, each way, each depending how far in advance you purchase your tickets.
Is there a direct train from Rome to Sorrento?
No, unfortunately you will have to stop in Naples to get your second train as there is no direct route from Rome to Sorrento, and vice versa by train.
How long does it take to drive from Sorrento to Rome?
The drive from Sorrento to Rome takes around 3 hours.
How far is the train ride from Rome to Sorrento?
The train journey from Rome to Sorrento is around 2 and a half hours as there is no direct route so you will have to swap trains in Naples.
Can you do a day trip to Rome from Sorrento?
Yes of course, but it will require very organised planning and a very early start in order to maximises the sights and activities you will want to see and do during your time in Rome.
Is it safe to travel to Sorrento?
How much is a taxi from Rome to Sorrento?
From Rome to Sorrento an taxi can cost from 390€.
How far is Rome to Sorrento by car?
Rome to Sorrento by car is around 3 hours.