If you have planned your stay in Sorrento and you still have not decided about what to do, here are the 10 reasons why it is worth spending the Christmas holidays in this magic place. You will find the complete program of events and some suggestions to better enjoy your holiday. From Christmas decorations to food, from concerts to daily tours, Sorrento is confirmed as the ideal destination among the top destinations in Europe to spend your Christmas holidays:
- 1 CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AND DECORATIONS
- 2 FESTIVE EVENTS, FOOD, CONCERTS – DATES & MORE
- 3 NATIVITY SCENES ITINERARY
- 4 SANTA CLAUS AND WALT DISNEY VILLAGES
- 5 FOOD EVENTS AND STREET FOOD MARKETS
- 6 CHRISTMAS CONCERTS AND MUSIC EVENTS
- 7 NYE 2018: DINNERS, FIREWORKS AND PARTIES
- 8 THE LIVING NATIVITY SCENE: A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE
- 9 DAILY TOUR IN NAPLES AT CHRISTMAS
- 10 DAILY TOURS TO AMALFI COAST, POMPEII AND CAPRI ON CHRISTMAS DAYS
1) CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AND DECORATIONS
It’s been a few years now that Sorrento at Christmas is dressed in lights and attracts thousands of visitors from all over the world to admire its beauty. Here are some of the most beautiful Christmas Lights not to be missed:
Piazza Tasso – the main square, is the starting point to admire the big Xmas tree in the center, one of the main attractions
Piazza Sant’Antonino – the Walt Disney Xmas village
Old Town – a jump in the ancient city through traditional shops, enveloping aromas and characteristic alleys
Corso Italia – the main shopping street
Piazza Angelina Lauro – Xmas shopping and Santa Claus Village
2) GUIDE TO FESTIVE EVENTS, FOOD, CONCERTS – DATES & MORE
Christmas is synonymous with tradition, and we in South of Italy know something about it. Since the first days there is a cosy and warm atmosphere and the whole town seems to become a small carousel. From the tree in the Piazza Tasso to Christmas lights and decorations all around, from pleasant walks along Corso Italia to the Tombola night in the Old Town. The air is sparkling and lovely and it is impossible to miss the several events that take place along the streets of Sorrento: from the Christmas markets to the fried pizza party arranged by Gigino sotto l’Arco ( a local slang used to indicate that Gigino’s pizzeria is located in a characteristic street underneath a arch), from the Ciuccio di Fuoco ( the Donkey on Fire) to the fireworks, from the visit of the nativities in the churches of Sorrento and the living one in the neighbor of Casarlano; and then concerts, Christmas choirs, art exhibitions and Christmas villages for the little ones.
3) NATIVITY SCENES ITINERARY
Art lovers, cannot miss the unique experience of the Neapolitan nativity scenes itinerary, one of the most deeply rooted traditions in the Neapolitan culture ;it starts from Sedil Dominova to the Basilica of Sant’Antonino, then Chiesa dell’Annunziata ,located in Piazza Andrea Veniero, to Chiesa dei Servi di Maria in Via Sersale.
Do not miss a visit to the private nativity scene of the Cuomo’s Lucky Store and Gambardella delicatessen on Corso Italia, old famous shops in Sorrento that prepare a Neapolitan nativity scene that have now become a regular stop for tradition lovers.
4) SANTA CLAUS AND WALT DISNEY VILLAGES
Families with kids will have a lot to do and see. Main attraction for the little ones is the Village of Walt Disney, set up in Piazza Sant’Antonino and Santa Claus one in the Historic Villa Fiorentino: these two are for some years already the meeting point for families and children. Starting from Friday, December 7th to January 6th, it will be possible to walk around the Village and play, leave a letter for Santa Claus, participate in the baby dance and attend the musical “The Grinch”.
5) FOOD EVENTS AND STREET FOOD MARKETS
Christmas and food are the perfect combo and Sorrento dedicates several events to this. In addition to Christmas markets and pastry shops that will offer traditional zeppole and sweets, the most anticipated events are:
- Sorrento Street Food Village, dedicated to street food made in Italy, where you can try from the classic Pizza a Portafogli ( means Pizza Wallet) to the roast, from fried cooks to local Panini, from meatballs to sfogliatelle and Sicilian cannoli.
- “Santa Lucia“, for the feast of December 13th the embers are collected for the sausage and pork festival, which, together with songs and music, cheers the party in the Santa Lucia district
- “Tiemp bell e na vot“, the event no one can miss in the Old Town center at the pizzeria da Gigino: Neapolitan folk music, tons of fried pizzas and rivers of beer to celebrate Christmas Eve together and toast to happiness.
- Christmas Eve Dinner and Christmas Lunch will be hosted by numerous restaurants and hotels which menus hardly come out from the traditional schemes; Eve menu is basically based on fish, while the lunch of December 25 is based on meat and vegetables: from tortellini soup, to cannelloni and baked pasta.
- E ‘asciut pazz o’ padron, by Pizzeria da Michele
6) CHRISTMAS CONCERTS AND MUSIC EVENTS
From the Jazz to Neapolitan popular & folk music, from Christmas choirs to classical music, to bands and to the folk groups that bring joy into the streets and squares all around Sorrento.
A varied offer, organized for the Christmas holidays, which enriches the artistic and cultural program of the Sorrento Peninsula.
Among the events not to be missed we find the Christmas Concert on December 25th, at the Chiesa dell’Annunziata and the Concert at the end of the year which will be held on Monday, December 31st, at 11.30 am at Teatro Tasso.
7) NYE 2018: DINNER, FIREWORKS AND PARTIES
Toasts, music and entertainment. We start from the morning with NYE Concert organized at Teatro Tasso followed by toasts and laughs in one of the many bars and brunches open around town. At 6.00 pm every one gathers at Piazza Tasso for the “ciuccio di fuoco” (Donkey on fire) an old local tradition to say goodbye to the just passed year and welcome with hope the new one.
It’s time then to get ready for dinner at one of the many restaurants or hotels that arrange dinners-show and right after the midnight toast, the party starts again in the main Piazza with fireworks, music, dances and a lot of people.
FIND OUT MORE | NYE 2018: DINNER, FIREWORKS AND PARTIES
8) THE LIVING NATIVITY SCENE, A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE
From December 26th to January 13th, the Living Nativity that takes places in the neighbor of Casarlano arranged by its parish community, reaches its eleventh edition. A suggestive experience that starts from the olive and lemon groves and continues towards the ancient “Holy Land”, set below the church, where the village is set up with magnificent chestnut structures and walls of tuff and stones , built by masters and passionate artisans. Three hundred people will be acting dressed with clothes reminding that period; a free shuttle service from Sorrento is provided.
9) DAILY TOUR IN NAPLES AT CHRISTMAS
It is difficult to describe Naples in a sentence itself , let alone at Christmas that an entire book would not be sufficient. Naples at Christmas is an explosion of feelings: music, vitality, traditions and perfumes make it one of the most charming city in Italy; from San Gregorio Armeno the street of the nativities scenes made by the famous Neapolitan artisans, to the Old Town, between Via del Duomo and Spaccanapoli.
10) DAILY TOURS TO AMALFI COAST, POMPEI AND CAPRI ON CHRISTMAS DAYS
During the month of December, the weather in Sorrento begins to be cooler, but considering that the chances of rain decrease compared to November, it is always worth a trip to the Amalfi Coast, visit the ruins of Pompeii and if sea is in good conditions, spend a day in Capri too.