Visit Sorrento & the Amalfi Coast in September 2020| The definitive guide
Sorrento in September – Our in depth Guide
The month of September has always been considered one of the most fascinating and pleasant times to visit Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, with its mild temperatures, sunny days and less crowds making it the setting for the most unforgettable and relaxing holiday. At the beginning of September, Sorrento and the entire Amalfi Coast feels as if it’s the second spring of the year. Autumn is a long way off and the scorching hot days of August are becoming fresher and cooler with the light breezes of September. This is also the most beautiful time to swim in the Gulf of Sorrento or in the crystal clear bays of Capri, so you absolutely must not forget to bring a swimming costume. The flow of tourists is slowing down and with the beginning of the school year and the unofficial ending of the holiday season, the most important roads and tourist attractions are much more easier and quicker to visit.
Visiting Sorrento in September
Things to do and Events
September is the best month for you to really appreciate the most of our natural beauty, a must in this month is to take a boat excursion to the enchanting Island of Capri, private or shared, you can’t come to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast without experiencing this. Our Capri Boat Tour from Sorrento gives you the opportunity to visit the fascinating island by yacht with your family, friends or partner. Known worldwide for its beautiful grottos and amongst all, the Blue Grotto, which is one of the most visited attractions on the island. As well as the magical reflections of the turquoise crystal clear waters, it’s the experience of entering the cave that will truly give you the most magical and exceptional memories and experience. Since the off-peak season has started again, it will be very pleasant and relaxing to visit the island during this month as you won’t experience long waiting times and queues to see the attractions.
Discover more about our Capri Boat Tour here: Capri boat Tour: Our Selected Tours
Amalfi Coast Tour
It is truly pleasant to travel on the Amalfi coast in this period of the year as the streets are gradually emptying, the sunsets offer breathtaking colours and the landscapes fill with shades that waver from the green of the olive trees to the bright blue of the sea. Our Amalfi Coast tour from Sorrento is the best way to see the Amalfi Coast in one day, our recommended English speaking driver is highly knowledgeable about the coast and will drive you in an elegant Mercedes E van with A/C and onboard comforts. Get to know all of the amazing hidden gems and see the secret sights only the knowledge of a local would have. A great advantage of doing this tour and exploring the pretty coastal towns in September is the fact that the summer crowds have now left and you can really taking in all the culture, beauty and history at your own pace. All the details of our Amalfi Coast Tour can be discovered here: Amalfi Coast Tour – Our Selected Tours
Pompeii Ruins with Vesuvius Wine Tasting Tour
If you’re a lover of exploring ancient history and Roman ruins or simply just want to have a different kind of experience, a visit to the Pompeii Ruins is perfect for you. You will truly feel as if you’re taking a trip back in time when walking the same streets of those who used to live there. Our Pompeii Tour includes a visit to the ruins of Pompeii in the morning with a tour, lunch in a vineyard on the slopes of Vesuvius, one of the most fertile areas of the Mediterranean, and a wine tasting of unique products that have an exquisite taste. You can read more about our Pompeii Tour here: Pompeii Ruins tour – Our Selected Tours
Weather and temperature
In September, the weather has always been considered an ideal time to visit Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, its much less humid that the summer months and has a more pleasant temperature and light breezes that cools the temperature down for the afternoon. It’s also always been a month to still enjoy sunbathing, wearing you t-shirts and dresses that are warm enough for outside dining in the evening.
MIN TEMPERATURE 16.0°C
MAX TEMPERATURE 26.2°C
RAINY DAYS 4
SUNSHINE HOURS 230
- Humidity 70% 70%
- Chance of Rain 13,3% 13,3%
What to Wear
Here are a few of my personal recommendations of what to wear when visiting Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast in September. The weather is still warm and you’ll be guaranteed some great sunny days where it will make you feel as if you’re still in summer mode. Insert article on what to wear in Sorrento and Amalfi in the off peak season here.
My pesonal recommendations:
- T-shirt or shirts
- A bathing suit and beach towel
- Shorts or skirts
- Good walking shoes
- Backpack or travel bag for the excursions
- Sweater or light cardigan for the evenings
5 Reasons to Visit
- Less crowds than in the Summer: From the first days of September there is a different feel in the air, for the residents the arrival of the month always brings a veil of melancholy, one way or another you start towards the end of summer meaning less crowds, allowing you to truly explore Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast in a truly unique way.
- Enjoy unforgettable days at the beach: For those who love fresh water, then there is no better place than spending a day at the beach. You can still enjoy many beautiful sunny days at the beach as the weather is still warm, you’ll also be guaranteed more space around you on the beach as those from the annual summer crowds have already started to return back home.
- See breathtaking sunsets: Experience a beautiful Italian sunset at the end of your evening while dining on an outside terrace overlooking the beautiful landscapes of Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.
- Enjoy beautiful meals by the sea: As the temperature is still warm you can take full advantage of still being able to dine outside, we recommend getting a table by the sea as you’ll be able to enjoy a nice glass of wine with the best view you could ask for.
- Experience the authentic Italian culture: Visiting Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast during the month of September still guarantees you enjoy great weather and on the plus side, as most families have returned back home for the start of school, you will be able to enjoy the best attractions such as and Old Town in a more unique way.